[Gramps-devel] Civil and religious marriage
Pier Luigi Cinquantini
2017-07-04 16:19:23 UTC
Hi to everybody.
I was asking me why, there is not an event to differentiate a civil
marriage (by the mayor) from the religious.
In Italy not always they have the same date, either someone married only in
the church or only at the town hall, or they can marry religiously some
years after.
E.g. In the beginning of the past century, in Italy, a lot of people used
to marry at the church and only next to their death they had a civil
marriage to regolarize their children, otherwise without rights (bastards).
Pier Luigi
Pier Luigi Cinquantini
2017-07-04 16:40:08 UTC
Sorry for the double post. I haven't received any mail and I guessed it
wasn't sent.
Pier Luigi
Tim Lyons
2017-07-05 15:57:23 UTC
Post by Pier Luigi Cinquantini
Hi to everybody.
I was asking me why, there is not an event to differentiate a civil
marriage (by the mayor) from the religious.
In Italy not always they have the same date, either someone married only in
the church or only at the town hall, or they can marry religiously some
years after.
E.g. In the beginning of the past century, in Italy, a lot of people used
to marry at the church and only next to their death they had a civil
marriage to regolarize their children, otherwise without rights (bastards).
Pier Luigi
In GEDCOM, the EVENT_DESCRIPTOR following the TYPE tag is used to provide
these further details. "A descriptor that should be used whenever the EVEN
tag is used to define the event being cited. For example, if the event was a
purchase of a residence, the EVEN tag would be followed by a subordinate
TYPE tag with the value "Purchased Residence." Using this descriptor with
any of the other defined event tags basically classifies the basic
definition of the associated tag but does not change its basic process. The
form of using the TYPE tag with defined event tags has not been used by very
many products. The MARR tag could be subordinated with a TYPE tag and
EVENT_DESCRIPTOR value of Common Law. Other possible descriptor values might
include "Childbirth%unmarried," "Common Law," or "Tribal Custom," for
example. The event descriptor should use the same word or phrase and in the
same language, when possible, as was used by the recorder of the event.
Systems that display data from the GEDCOM form should be able to display the
descriptor value in their screen or printed output."

In Gramps, see:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_1#Family_Editor_dialog

"The Relationship Information section fields have the basic description of
the relationship. The ID field displays the ID number which labels this
relationship in the database, leave this field empty to have Gramps generate
a unique ID number. You can choose from the drop-down Type: list the
available types of family relationships such as Civil Union, Married,
Unknown(default), Unmarried, etc.) "