[Gramps-devel] DBAPI in 5.0.0
Paul Franklin
2017-06-15 20:40:31 UTC
Since Nick says he is not willing to state it publicly,
I will state that for a long time, about a year, there has
been a decision that when 5.0.0 is released only the
BSDDB database will be available to "ordinary" users.

Any DBAPI database choices will only be available to
"power users."
Paul Culley
2017-06-15 21:36:10 UTC
Not going to stop me from patching bugs in dbapi 😃. But which branch do I
do the patches in?
Until we actually disable this stuff, I intend to make them in gramps50
branch until told otherwise.

On another topic, how are we going to ensure only 'power users' use dbapi?
I propose we temporarily disable only the GUI items that allow the creation
of a DBAPI db. That is, comment out the Family Tree manager 'Convert'
button, and the Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend drop-down so they
don't show. A power user can still use the config file to start a dbapi
tree, and an already present dbapi tree will continue to work.

This should be minimally invasive and easy to revert.

Paul Culley
Paul Franklin
2017-06-15 23:54:09 UTC
Not going to stop me from patching bugs in dbapi 😃. But which branch do I
do the patches in?
Until we actually disable this stuff, I intend to make them in gramps50
branch until told otherwise.
I do not speak for Nick but it is certainly my understanding
of the current status, announced a few weeks ago, that all
bugs are supposed to be fixed in gramps50 and nothing but
enhancements and feature requests and so on are supposed
to be put into master (by us non-senior developers that is).
On another topic, how are we going to ensure only 'power users' use dbapi?
I propose we temporarily disable only the GUI items that allow the creation
of a DBAPI db. That is, comment out the Family Tree manager 'Convert'
button, and the Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend drop-down so they
don't show. A power user can still use the config file to start a dbapi
tree, and an already present dbapi tree will continue to work.
That certainly seems like one possibility, although I do not
claim to be any sort of expert. (If you feel like it, you could
look at the existing code -- and who made it, and when -- and
perhaps get a better idea of the feasibility of your suggestion,
and/or of any other possibilities. Just a thought.)
Josip
2017-06-16 00:57:21 UTC
Post by Paul Culley
On another topic, how are we going to ensure only 'power users' use dbapi?
I propose we temporarily disable only the GUI items that allow the creation
of a DBAPI db. That is, comment out the Family Tree manager 'Convert'
button, and the Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend drop-down so they
don't show. A power user can still use the config file to start a dbapi
tree, and an already present dbapi tree will continue to work.
That is already done.
It will be hidden if running gramps in "optimized" mode like with
"python -O"
Windows alpha2-2 aio package is built as that on request to hide dbapi
from "normal" users.
Josip
Nick Hall

Nick Wallingford
2017-06-15 20:59:58 UTC
Post by Paul Franklin
Since Nick says he is not willing to state it publicly,
I will state that for a long time, about a year, there has
been a decision that when 5.0.0 is released only the
BSDDB database will be available to "ordinary" users.
Though I am not a developer, I hope the decision to release or not is
based on the maturity of the code involved and the potential value (and
potential downsides!) to users. As I've heard from others, it is not so
likely that 'ordinary' users will avail themselves of different database
options. So if it *is* initially available to only power users, I am
not sure why this is a significant issue in the scheme of the Gramps
Project overall.

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga, NZ
Paul Franklin
2017-06-15 23:46:56 UTC
Post by Nick Wallingford
Post by Paul Franklin
Since Nick says he is not willing to state it publicly,
I will state that for a long time, about a year, there has
been a decision that when 5.0.0 is released only the
BSDDB database will be available to "ordinary" users.
Though I am not a developer, I hope the decision to release or not is
based on the maturity of the code involved and the potential value (and
potential downsides!) to users. As I've heard from others, it is not so
likely that 'ordinary' users will avail themselves of different database
options. So if it *is* initially available to only power users, I am
not sure why this is a significant issue in the scheme of the Gramps
Project overall.
Nick Wallingford
Tauranga, NZ
It is my belief that "the decision to release or not is
based on the maturity of the code involved" -- but I do
not speak for Nick and nothing I say should be in any
respect thought of that way.

My opinions are my own.
Nick Hall
2017-06-16 16:08:16 UTC
Post by Paul Franklin
Since Nick says he is not willing to state it publicly,
I will state that for a long time, about a year, there has
been a decision that when 5.0.0 is released only the
BSDDB database will be available to "ordinary" users.
Any DBAPI database choices will only be available to
"power users."
This is our current policy. I didn't see any need to re-state it.

Nick.